Thursday, December 1, 2011

Elevator Speech

During my time in graduate school at NYU, I have heard over and over the term "Elevator Speech". Professors are constantly saying, "everyone should have an elevator speech prepared for what the do and why it is important". As I am nearing graduation and beginning my job search, I am realizing more than ever how important this truly is. Especially as arts educators, we (more than anyone) need to be able to justify what we do, why we do what we do and why it's beneficial! I'm not saying it's fair! But it is reality. In schools-- what is the first thing to go if there are budget cuts? The arts! Without a doubt! Especially in Ohio, where I am from, most schools do not offer a performing arts curriculum of any kind. And many due to budget cuts no longer have any arts program. I repeat...NO ARTS PROGRAM!!
While the view on the value of the arts is improving (slowly) it still has a long way to go. Therefore, it is our responsibility to help move this effort along. I encourage everyone in the Arts or Art Education to prepare their own 30 second Elevator Speech!
I ask you: if you had 30 seconds to pitch the value in what we do-- why the arts are important, what would you say?

Here is a link to help you get started on writing your own elevator speech!
How to craft an elevator speech!

Hope you find this useful! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment